Saturday, November 10, 2012

Bathroom Remodel

I've been taking on a lot of household projects to keep myself busy. One of these was finally starting to decorate the three rooms we haven't really touched: the main bath and the master bedroom and bath.  We started with the main bathroom.  The only problem was that I couldn't do much of the actual work because well, power tools freak me out a bit. Ha!

Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a before photo, but I do have one taken before we moved in.  We hadn't painted or changed a single fixture, so it essentially looked the same, even the cherubs.  You can't see the flooring, but it was white vinyl and was impossible to get really clean.


I did decide to take on one project myself: staining the vanity. (Using the tutorial found here.)



One coat. (These were all taken on my iPhone.)




Two coats.

Clint snuck past me and did the third coat and applied the poly. I might touch it up because I think it could use another coat, and a shinier poly coat.


Ta Da!  I also sprayed the hinges with a satin nickel spray paint. That's pretty much the extent of my manual labor on this project.

Here is the whole bathroom after:






The backsplash:





In all we changed:
paint color
new tile flooring
stained vanity
cabinet hardware
new counter
new faucet
new lighting
new medicine cabinet
new towel bars






I plan to add some floating shelves above the toilet soon. Hopefully soon we will start on our bedroom and bathroom. 

4 comments:

  1. <3 the backsplash tile! I am so jealous that you are getting this done...I still have a while to wait. Nice wall color. I might want the name of it for the boys' bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tile was only $5 for a 12x12 sheet at Lowe's and we only needed three of them. Let me know if you want the name of the paint color.

      Delete
  2. Heather, how did you stain the vanity? (products used, equipment) I'm wanting to do that to ours, but don't know where to begin. --Audra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used General Finishes brand gel stain in Java, purchased on Amazon and the same brand's poly-acrylic top coat.

      I've updated the post to include a link to the tutorial I used. It really was easy and I plan to stain the vanity in our other bathroom and our kitchen cabinets as well.

      Delete