Ever since she was born I had noticed something strange about her tongue, and on Monday I finally got a good look at it. I saw that the membrane that attached her tongue to the bottom of her mouth extended all the way to the tip. The poor thing couldn't stick her tongue out. Her pediatrician, Dr. Miller, agreed and set up an appointment with a Neonatalogist to have it snipped. The next day we made a trip to Home Hospital and Dr. Chua performed a frenulotomy. They wouldn't let me stay for the procedure, but it didn't take long. She'd already stopped crying when I got back to her and there was barely any bleeding. I felt awful putting her through it, but I thought is would be better to take care of it now rather than wait until it starts causing her problems. I'd hate to have it done when she's two and having speech issues. It seems to be causing her some problems nursing though, she just doesn't know what to do with her tongue now so she has trouble staying latched, but at least she's let go of her grip a little! Many babies that are "tongue-tied" can't latch on because of the immobility of their tongues. Those who can, like Isabella, are able to nurse because they increase their suction.
This week has been a learning experience to say the least. Here's what our little girl has taught us so far:
Sleeping on Mommy is far better than the bassinet, and the swing is second best
Tummy time is not much fun, but getting better. The play mat is much more enjoyable if you lie on your back.
Times between feedings are sporadic, sometimes it is 4 hours sometimes just one.
It's fun to pee on your clothes when Daddy changes your diaper.
Pacifiers are NOT acceptable.
Lamps are mesmerizing.
Night lights are necessary.
Baths are torture.
Babies can make about a hundred different faces in under a minute.
If you leave your baby asleep in the swing and your husband watching tv on the couch you will be startled by a screaming baby. Your husband will be asleep on he couch. Cuddling your Boppy.


Well glad to hear the procedure didn't take long,and all is well... hope nursing gets a little better! She is beautiful,big pretty eyes! Hope to meet her soon:) ;
ReplyDelete