Monday, August 9, 2010

One Year Old!

I still can't believe I have a one year old.  I think I will just say she's 12 months old that way I can remain at least partially in denial about the whole thing. 

We kept things pretty low key Friday.  I made her favorite dinner (mac & cheese, naturally) and we gave her one of her gifts, a toddler-sized Mickey Mouse Clubhouse sofa.  She loves it.  Saturday was her party (more on that later), and we took her to the Columbian Park Zoo and the Petsmart "zoo" on Sunday.

Today was her 12 month appointment.  She is perfectly healthy and measuring at 29 1/4 inches tall and 18 lbs 12 oz.  That puts her in the 50% for height and 14% for weight.  The NP said she appears to be following her growth curve nicely.  I asked about her thumb-sucking, but the NP said that since she only does it when she's tired or upset we shouldn't worry about it.  She needs it for comfort at this point and we don't really need to worry about it until she's two.

I was completely open to the idea of continuing to nurse her until at least 18 months, if not beyond.  She was only nursing three times a day (morning, naptime, and bedtime), but as of her birthday she appears to be self-weaning.  She has refused to nurse at naptime since Friday and tonight she refused to nurse before bed.  I'm sad to see it end.  I will miss the special closeness and hate to see her give up the health benefits.  Maybe she'll continue the morning nursing session, but we'll see.  We started offering her whole milk at lunch on Sunday.  She is definitely not a fan. 

The last couple months have been a bit of a blur to me, so I can't really remember exactly everything that is new this month and what isn't, but here are some things that come to mind:

-Standing on her own for longer periods of time
-Taking a few unassisted steps
-Pushing anything she possibly can around the house (boxes, baskets,etc.)  She likes to put her sippy cup in a basket and push it around he living room.
-Learning more and more words! Solme things we've heard her say:  Mama, Dada, dog (sounds a lot like dada), cat, bye-bye, baby, woof, and thank you
-Likes t pucker up and make kissy faces
-Will give you a hug when asked
-Tries to share her sippy cup with Mommy
-Experiencing Stranger Awarenss, if anyone other than Mommy or Daddy gets too close she freaks out
-Can find her tummy (and Mommy's!), as well as nose and mouth, but not as consistent with the last two

Just one picture for now, I'll share more sometime this week.


On her birthday:

1 comment:

  1. James appears to be self-weaning already. He will only nurse in the morning and after his second nap. I try to do it more, but he is constantly just popping off (which I'm sure you know doesn't feel very good), so I've been pumping a lot more lately. Sigh. I'm sad to see it go too. I WILL make it to one year!

    ReplyDelete