*Note: No, I did not forget about Christmas. We still have one family Christmas celebrations left, so I'm waiting to post about them all at once.
I've never been big on New Year's resolutions. I don't think I've ever made one. However, I've been trying to slowly transition to a more eco-friendly, cost-effective lifestyle. I've had several ideas for ways to do this, so I think these could be sort of a New Year's resolution for me. I've come up with 12 changes (one for each month) that I'd like to implement this year. The sewing machine I received for Christmas will come in handy for many of these. :)
1. Install a programmable thermostat. (Completed as of yesterday!)
2. Cut back on paper towels and napkins by converting to "un-paper" towels and cloth napkins.
3. Buy a steam mop. Ok, so this one is sort of give and take in the eco-friendly department. It will eliminate the use of chemicals, but it runs on electricity. Ultimately, my floors are not getting clean enough so I'm biting the bullet on this one.
4. Make re-usable refills for my Swiiffer duster and sweeper.
5. Buy a new water heater. Our current one sucks so I can only imagine that a newer model would save on our energy costs.
6. Install a water softener. This is another I'm not entirely sure of, but I figure it will save on soaps/detergents.
7. Start using a rain barrel.
8. Plant a vegetable/herb garden.
9. Install an eco-flow showerhead. I've been wanting a new one anyway, so this is a no-brainer.
10. Be more proactive about recycling. We already recycle quite a bit and have really cut back on our trash each week, but I think there are still plenty of things winding up in the garbage that could easily be recycled.
11. Reusable sandwich bags. Let's just hope Clint can remember to bring them home rather than throw them away.
12. Repurposing unwanted items. I always see these fabulous projects people create from stuff lying around the house. I need to work on this.
What about you? What are your New Year's resolutions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



We have a vegetable garden and an herb garden and I LOVE them! Actually, last spring we converted our front flower bed into an "herb" bed. It's awesome, and I think it looks just as pretty! We're also thinking of putting a compost bin in a small corner of the back yard. It won't take up much room and it's wonderful for the garden!
ReplyDeleteWe also need to recycle. We *blush* don't recycle at all! Ethan now works less than a mile from a recycling center, so we're definitely going to start.
We wanted to plant a garden last year, but we couldn't decide where to put it.
ReplyDeleteYou'll be surprised by how much you can reduce your trash each week by recycling. We usually only have to put out one 13 gallon trash bag a week now. I would highly suggest getting some stacking bins for the garage if you don't have recycling pick-up. Our recyclables were a huge mess without them.
I would love to hear more about your sewing projects! I love sewing and have a ton of projects lined up for this year. :) I have considered making reusable sandwich and snack bags too.
ReplyDeleteLindsay,
ReplyDeleteSo far I've only made Isabella a blanket. I bought supplies to make her a rag doll and a wet/dry bag for her cloth diapers as well.
I've got a lot in project ideas in mind: the reusable sandwich bags, Microfiber Swiffer refills (I found a tutorial online), toss pillows, curtains, and a pillowcase dress for Isabella come to mind.
I might try making cloth diapers when I'm feeling more confident, and I'm thinking of making a funky/cute quilt and bedskirt for Isabella when we decide to decorate a "big girl" room for her.
I've been wanting this sewing machine forever and I have big plans for it. :) Only problem is that I now have my eye on a serger and embroidery machine as well.